Who Should Apply?

Who should apply?

You may want to consider applying if:

  • Seabirds are found annually on the grounds of your property
  • You believe there is a risk of human-wildlife interaction with one or more of the covered species
  • You expect seabird fallout due to light attraction on your property
  • You have observed sea turtles hatching on or near your property

Who needs an Incidental Take Permit and HCP?

Any non-Federal entity whose otherwise lawful activities will result in the incidental take of a listed species.

Incidental Take Permits

An incidental take permit (ITP) allows a property owner to conduct otherwise lawful activities in the presence of listed species. A non-Federal entity (e.g., a landowner or local government) develops an HCP in order to apply for an incidental take permit under section 10(a)(1)(B) of the ESA.  Endangered and threatened species included in the HCP and ITP are termed “covered species” and the actions causing “incidental take” are called “covered activities”. If the US Fish and Wildlife Service and applicable State agency, such as the State of Hawaii, approve an HCP, the applicant receives an Incidental Take Permit. The ITP protects the applicant from punishment for incidental loss of species, as long as the approved HCP is followed.


In general each entity that wishes to participate in the KSHCP will submit a Participant Inclusion Plan (PIP) detailing all facilities and activities to be covered, requested take level, and description of avoidance and minimization actions. Contac us for the latest template of the PIP. The Application needs to include a description of existing and future facilities, range of avoidance and minimization measures considered, and the justifications for accomplishing or not accomplishing each. Avoidance and minimization measures and determinations of requested take levels will be discussed with KSHCP staff. 

That's great, but what about WSART?